Lead Partner: Govan Workspace
Other Partners: Local congregation, Glasgow Presbytery, Trustees of Church of Scotland
Project Team: Page & Park; Gardiner & Theobald; Robertson & McIntosh.
Project HistoryClick an image to enlarge
Greater Govan & Glasgow Harbour, Govan
The national significance of Govan Old has been compared by
academics to that of Iona, Whithorn and St. Andrews. The Govan site
is the oldest known Christian settlement on the River Clyde and has
an ancient burial ground dating back to the 5th century. Its
collection of 31 early medieval sculptures, including the Govan
Sarcophagus, is unparalleled in Scotland. It is believed there has
been continuing Christian worship on the site for at least 1,500
years. A key aspiration of the study is for worship to continue
there as part of future plans.
The Category 'A' listed Govan Old Parish Church was built in
1884-8 and occupies the site of at least three previous
churches. An important collection of 31 medieval carved
stones is housed in the church and entry to visit The Govan Stones
is free. Find out more about Govan Old Parish Church on
the Clyde Waterfront Heritage website.
Church continues to be used for daily worship.
Study completed 2010
Options Appraisal Study - £31,000
Between 2003 and 2014 Clyde Waterfront was a strategic
partnership comprising the Scottish Government, Scottish
Enterprise, Glasgow City, Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire
Councils. Its purpose was to promote the economic, social and
environmental regeneration of 13 miles of the River Clyde from
Glasgow city centre to Dumbarton.