Old Kilpatrick marks the western end of the Antonine Wall which the Romans built across central Scotland.
A Roman fort and bathhouse (no longer visible) marked the
western terminus of the Antonine Wall, constructed between
142-144AD. The Antonine Wall gained World Heritage Site status in
Similarly, Bowling is the western end of the Forth and Clyde
Canal, where the custom house stands. Pontoons are available in the
canal basin for leisure craft making the trip through the
View Old Kilpatrick and Bowling on Google maps
(opens in new window).
The Antonine Wall was built across the narrowest part of Scotland by the Romans. At the time it marked the north west frontier of the Roman Empire.
With its strategic location close to the Forth and Clyde canal, Bowling Harbour was an important shipyard and winter mooring for Clyde steamers.
The Forth and Clyde canal was constructed between 1768 and 1790 bringing new opportunities for trade and manufacture to the communities along its banks
An obelisk erected in 1838 is the monument to Henry Bell who designed the paddle-steamer Comet.
The Lang Dyke played an important part in making the River Clyde navigable for larger vessels in the 18th Century.