The old Glasgow city centre, now known as the Merchant City grew up on the north bank of the River Clyde, around the bridge.
Bridgegate, Saltmarket and the High Street were the main streets
in medieval Glasgow. The trading communities were clustered near
the river with Glasgow Cathedral and the College (later University)
Well into the 19th century this area remained the city
View Merchant City on Google maps (opens in
The grand Georgian terraces in Carlton Place were developed on the South bank of the river during the 18th century.
The 1655 Merchants' Steeple soars above the Briggait. The ship on a globe at its apex tells the story of its origins as part of the Merchants’ House and hospital.
This grand Victorian fishmarket is currently being renovated and converted to offices, café and studios.
The Gorbals on the south bank was still quite village-like until the late 18th century when new urban areas were developed.
This area was the city centre of Glasgow until well into the 19th Century
There has been a bridge across the Clyde on this site since the 13th century. The town of Glasgow gradually grew up around the bridge.