The ancient royal burgh of Renfrew lies between the White Cart and the Clyde.
The town is connected with the north side of the river by
the Renfrew-Yoker ferry crossing. The ferry house on the south side
is now the Ferry Inn. Back in the 12th century the Clyde ran right
up to Renfrew with 'inches', or islets, in the middle. Renfrew
Castle (where James III of Scotland spent some time) once stood on
King's Inch but the islet was gradually absorbed into Renfrew as
the waterway silted up and the rest of the river was made
View Renfrew on Google maps (opens in new
The Inchinnan Bascule bridge was built in 1923 to replace an earlier swing bridge, allowing vessels upriver to Paisley.
The Renfrew - Yoker Ferry was a major crossing point on the River Clyde until it was superseded by the Clyde Tunnel and Erskine Bridge.
1300 dredgers were built at Renfrew shipyards by the two competing companies, Simons and Lobnitz, who eventually amalgamated in 1957 and then closed in 1964.