The Broomielaw is most famous as the place where thousands of Glaswegians boarded steamers to go 'doon the watter' for a day trip or seaside holiday.
Passengers boarded one of the elegant paddle steamers heading
for coastal resorts such as Largs or Dunoon, and Rothesay on the
Isle of Bute. The number of steamer routes meant affluent business
people could commute, working in Glasgow during the week and
joining their families at their country villas for the weekend.
After the opening of the George V Bridge in 1928, the river
steamers moved to the south bank.
The Waverley is now the only surviving Clyde paddle steamer.
View the Broomielaw on Google maps (opens in
The River Clyde was an important route into the centre of the city.
For over 100 years the Clyde Navigation Trust was the driving force in developing new docks and quays, keeping the dockside machinery up to date and carrying out never ending maintenance on the river.
Take a trip on the river and appreciate the heritage of the Clyde as well as the regeneration that's taking place.