Lead Partner: Govan Workspace
Project HistoryClick an image to enlarge
Greater Govan & Glasgow Harbour, Govan
Having lain derelict for almost 10 years, the A-Listed Fairfield
Shipyard Offices was saved from near terminal decline when in 2009
local economic development agency, Govan Workspace, raised £1.6m to
undertake emergency repairs which were completed in 12 months. A
second phase of works costing £4.4m and comprising the full
restoration of the property began soon after and was completed
The refurbishment created a modern office complex of 12 suites
amounting to 18,000 sq ft plus 3,000 sq ft of heritage space that
will tell the story of shipbuilding in Govan.
The Fairfield shipyard opened in 1867 equipped with six
shipbuilding berths and a fitting-out basin. The first ship was
launched in 1868, and the engine and boiler works were completed in
1874. The yard was famous in the late 19th and early 20th century
for producing passenger liners such as Cunard's SS Campania and
Lucania, as well as naval ships such as HMS Indomitable. The
Fairfield office building, which opened in 1890, was designed
by architect John Keppie, and served as the main offices for
the yard until 2001.
Having undergone major conversion work in 2011/12, the building
is now open for business.
2009 - 2013
Between 2003 and 2014 Clyde Waterfront was a strategic
partnership comprising the Scottish Government, Scottish
Enterprise, Glasgow City, Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire
Councils. Its purpose was to promote the economic, social and
environmental regeneration of 13 miles of the River Clyde from
Glasgow city centre to Dumbarton.