Lead Partner: Glasgow City Council Development and Regeneration Services
Other Partners: Merchant City Initiative
Project Team: TBC
Project HistoryClick an image to enlarge
Glasgow City Centre, Merchant City
The Tolbooth Steeple is an imposing medieval landmark at Glasgow
Cross, once the hub of the city of Glasgow. The steeple is all that
remains of a much larger Tolbooth building which included a debtors
prison as well as the town clerk's offices and the council
hall. Built in 1636, the 126ft-high steeple is one of the most
prominent landmarks in the area.
Work has been undertaken to repair and preserve this important
and historic city building. The scope of works involved structural
repair to the base of the steeple, renewal of rain water goods and
new lead parapets to the crown steeple, repointing and repair of
defective stonework and new protective and interpretive measures to
allow better public access.
Between 2003 and 2014 Clyde Waterfront was a strategic
partnership comprising the Scottish Government, Scottish
Enterprise, Glasgow City, Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire
Councils. Its purpose was to promote the economic, social and
environmental regeneration of 13 miles of the River Clyde from
Glasgow city centre to Dumbarton.