Govan Graving Docks

Three dry docks were built for the Clyde Navigation Trust between 1869 and 1898, the first dock opening in 1875, the second larger dock in 1886 and the third and largest in 1898. They were extensively used for winter overhauls and refits of Clyde steamers.

The Graving Docks were closed in 1988 and await restoration as one of the most complete and evocative pieces of shipbuilding history on the Clyde. Next to them is a wet dock formerly used as a fitting out basin.

Also at Prince's Dock (Back to listing)

Clyde Waterfront project information