King George V Dock

The King George V Dock survives as a working dock at the east end of the Braehead site.

It can only be seen from the north bank of the Clyde. The dock was constructed in 1931, the last major dock to be created on the Clyde. It had an open entrance for the benefit of increasingly large vessels.

Further docks were planned alongside it but the depressed conditions of the 1930s and then post-war changes in trade meant they came to nothing.

Opposite, on the north bank,was the Scotstoun yard of Charles Connell & Co, founded in 1861 but which closed in 1971. To the west are the massive grey early 20th century engineering sheds, originally set up to manufacture heavy gunmountings for naval warships. Later this became Harland &Wolff's Diesel Engine Works. Beyond these, you can still see the working Scotstoun shipbuilding yard established by Sir Alfred Yarrow in 1906 and now operated by BVT Surface Fleet.

Also at Braehead (Back to listing)