Lead Partner: Archdiocese of Glasgow
Project Team: Quantity Surveyor: Brown and Wallace
Lighting Designers: FOTO-MA
Services Engineers: Harley Haddow
Landscape Consultant: Maria Giulia Chiarini Testa Structural Engineers: McClay Colliers
Sound Engineers: New Acoustics:
Architects: Page \ Park Architects:
Project HistoryClick an image to enlarge
Glasgow City Centre, Custom House Quay
Works to renovate and extend St Andrew's Metropolitan
Cathedral, the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese
of Glasgow are complete. The original building, created by
architect James Gillespie Graham, was completed in 1816.
The building was modified by architects Pugin & Pugin in 1864
when it became a cathedral.
The current renovations are the first major works to
be undertaken in over 200 years.
The plain walls and obtrusive pillars will be transformed in
trompe l'oeil to look like blonde sandstone by the application of
imitation ashlar. The pipe organ has been removed from the leaded
front window that overlooks the River Clyde, allowing white light
to flood the interior. The internal wooden porch and doors have
also been removed to create an open entrance space, which has a
direct view to the alter.
Additional works include new seating, lighting and heating and
the installation of a new canvas by Peter Howson depicting the
martyrdom of St John Ogilvie.
A new café will be created on the ground floor of the existing
Presbytery to add a much needed area for social
Work commenced 29th Sepember 2009 and completed April 2011.
Between 2003 and 2014 Clyde Waterfront was a strategic
partnership comprising the Scottish Government, Scottish
Enterprise, Glasgow City, Renfrewshire and West Dunbartonshire
Councils. Its purpose was to promote the economic, social and
environmental regeneration of 13 miles of the River Clyde from
Glasgow city centre to Dumbarton.