The two existing boathouses on Glasgow Green, the West built in
1905 and Listed Category B, and the East built in 1933, are both
owned by Glasgow City Council.
Following an earlier study, it has been agreed that the west
boathouse should be restored and the east boathouse can be
demolished to make way for modern new rowing facilities.
The Scottish Amateur Rowing Association has identified Glasgow
as a key regional centre for the sport and the new boathouses will
provide a base for coaches and development officers and offer a
21st century home for the rowing community.
The refurbished west boathouse will include an indoor rowing
centre, gymnasium, Glasgow schools rowing centre, restaurant/café,
viewing gallery, offices and additional boat storage.
The principal accommodation for rowing will be located in a new
building on the site of the present east boathouse, which will be
demolished, along with the adjacent single storey shed.
The Glasgow Green Boathouse and Rowing Trust and Glasgow City
Council have commissioned a detailed study which is now completed.
The results will form the basis of grant funding applications and
provide the foundations for detailed design proposals.